COLUMNIST Apologized For Stealing Quotes And Slandering Colleagues - But Few Are Impressed

Thursday, December 8, 2011

#Harigate : In Defence Of Johann Hari

This is a guest post by Stuart Rodger....OR is this Johann Hari defending his actions through yet another sockpuppet ? Notice we have David Rose posting that he agrees with everything said in the Stuart Rodger article ! Will the real Johann Hari please stand up.

On searching It would appear Stuart Rodger does exist and Johann Hari is his hero, here Stuart explains why. BUT no wait, who opens a FACEBOOK page in defence of Hari with just the one post...a sockpuppet thats who !

http://www.facebook.com/FreeHetherington/posts/138667062866753

I first stumbled across Johann Hari’s journalism in 2006, when I was a lonely, frightened gay teenager. Reading through his many articles on gays issues – his obituary of Section 28, his profiles of Peter Tatchell, his condemnations of homophobic bullying, and on and on – helped me immensely, giving me a quiet sense of self-assurance which helped me through my final, frustrated year at school. It is partly because of this glowing kindness, this compassion that positively shines through his work, that I have been shocked at the outpouring of venom against him across the blogosphere.

So I would like to take this opportunity to take make the Case for the Defence – in the fairest, most dispassionate way I can.

Fundamentally, it is my contention that the Johann Hari scandal has been incredibly overblown.

As far as his interview technique is concerned, I think Naomi Klein put it best when describing it as an ‘attribution problem’. And, given that none of his interviewees has ever complained about being misquoted (even when Johann has been very critical of them), the accusations of fabrication do not carry weight. As it happens, I was with Johann when he was preparing for the interview with Gideon Levy, the interview with whom ignited this scandal, having bumped in to him at Kings Cross Station last summer. Johann was going through what appeared to be around 500 pages of small-print text of his work. His technique involved more effort – not less....read more 

http://brightgreenscotland.org/index.php/2011/10/in-defence-of-johann-hari/